Cinnamon French Toast with Bananas and Chocolate Sauce
My niece is staying for a few days and one thing she always asks for is french toast. She fell in love with it the first time I made it for her which was cinnamon french toast with strawberries, very simple but she loved it! I can't blame her, who does not like french toast for breakfast?
Anyways this time I wanted to treat her to an amazing breakfast. So I decided to combine two of her favourites, bananas and chocolate. She absolutely loved it, so much so she called it "The best breakfast ever!" Oh little kids they do know how to please you.
The chocolate sauce here is made with cocoa instead of actual chocolate. This is only because I ran out of chocolate as I ate them all (Sshh) and I couldn't be bothered to go to the shop early morning just for some chocolate. So I decided to make a syrup type chocolate sauce, which actually turned out great. It was very chocolatey and rich and took this french toast to a new level. However if you do want to make a proper creamy chocolate sauce then you can use the one we used in our chocolate crepe with strawberries recipe
For the french toast:
60ml (1/4 cup) milk
1 tsp, Cinnamon
40g (1/4 cup) sugar
2 slices of bread
1 ripe banana cut into slices
For the chocolate sauce:
30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
1 tsp corn flour (corn starch)
201g (1 cup) sugar
120 (1/2 cup) water
1tsp of vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
- Begin by making the chocolate sauce, in pan mix the cocoa powder, corn flour and sugar with the water. Bring to boil. Then add in the vanilla and salt and stir. Let it cool down while you start making the french toast
- In a wide dish beat the eggs with the milk.
- Add in the sugar and cinnamon and give it a quick whisk
- Soak one slice of bread in the egg mixture
- In a pan add around tablespoon of butter on a medium heat
- Turn the slice of bread around so that the other side also soaks up the mixture.
- Once the butter has melted carefully transfer the bread to the pan
- After around 3 minutes flip the bread so that both sides are cooked and are slightly brown
- Move the bread to a plate and repeat steps 4-8 with the other slice of bread
- On one french toast put the banana slices so that they are evenly distributed and put the other slice of toast on top. Drizzle with the chocolate sauce and serve while its still warm.